Today one of Google’s top gurus offered some tips for small businesses who want to rank higher on the search engines. If you are a small business or startup whose website has no more than 50 pages of primary content, and have a desire to rank for a handful of keywords….this list is a must have! Download the PDF version after you’re done reading this so you can keep it on hand….
If your startup business seeks to quickly rank, consider taking these steps:
1. Verify ownership of your site in Webmaster Tools. Also sign up for email forwarding, so Google can alert you to potential problems.
2. Perform a background check on your domain. If spammers previously owned your domain, it won't rank well.
3. Include analytics code. Whether you use Google Analytics or another provider, it's good to start collecting data, even if you're not ready to use it. Have your web partner add the code to your site – as this is complicated for those not familiar with code.
4. Use strategy in your site design. You'll get different types of visitors—customers, investors, press. Your site should offer an excellent experience to each persona. At Performance Marketing – we spend a great deal of time defining your target market and then creating content for each.
5. Define your conversion. Create ways for your web visitor to continue to browse through your site based on the browsers interests. Use Call To Action buttons throughout your site!
6. Be smart about your copy. Use targeted keywords in your text that people normally use to find information about your product or service. Try using long tail keywords as a fast & easy way to rank.
7. Check on your ranking. Ideally, you'll rank number one for your company name. But also examine how you rank for other terms. (Note – you may be interested in finding out how you rank against your competitors using our Website Grader – click here!)
8. Play to authentic strengths. If your CEO likes to tweet, if an engineer is on Google+, or if a salesperson enjoys Facebook—encourage their ongoing activity.
If you liked this blog post - Click the button below if you're interested in reading the 5 Essential Steps to Generating Leads using your website: