If you’re tasked with the marketing responsibilities for your business, you just might be feeling a little overwhelmed by trying to keep up. Guess what? You’re not alone!
A recent (2013) survey of 1,000 U.S. marketers by the good folks at Adobe turned up some pretty revealing information. Here are a few tidbits.
- 76 percent of marketers think marketing has changed more in the past two years than the past 50.
- 48 percent of digital marketers feel highly proficient in digital marketing.
- 40 percent think their company’s marketing is effective.
- 68 percent of marketing professionals feel more pressured to show return on investment for their marketing spending.
- 82 percent of digital marketers learn on the job (no training).
- 9 percent of respondents strongly agree with the statement “I know our digital marketing is working.”
Apparently, a lot of people involved in marketing—especially in this digital age—are feeling overwhelmed and uncertain. And despite the fact that two-thirds of them believe that companies today can’t succeed without a functional digital marketing approach, 82 percent of them are concerned that they’re not reaching their customers and 79 percent simply don’t know if their campaigns are working or not.
We’d have to agree with the 76 percent of marketers who think marketing has changed dramatically. But it’s not just the technology that’s changed. The way people do business has changed—and that means the way we reach people with our marketing messages has to change as well. This requires us to rethink our marketing strategies—moving from a traditional “outbound” approach to a new “inbound” approach.
It also means integrating your marketing efforts so that your brand and your messaging are consistent across all of your initiatives.
And sometimes it means getting a little help. You don’t have to be an expert in everything, and it’s OK to bring in some outside expertise for those areas where you’re feeling a bit overwhelmed, whether it’s in the area of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) or generating leads through your website.
If trying to fulfill all of your marketing responsibilities in a constantly changing marketing environment has you feeling a little overwhelmed, the good news is that you’re not alone. And the better news is that there’s help out there. We’d love to partner with you and help you get back on top of your game!